Monday, April 23, 2012

DID YOU GO??? DID YOU SEE IT?????

OH wow! Was this the best GSQA show ever? So many fantastic and beautiful works of art on display under one massive and local roof. I was in heaven!

The weather may not have been the best on Saturday to venture forth but those who traveled to the Northshore Harbor Oaks Center were witness to some amazing works of art. All of us who pour ourselves into the making of a quilt know first-hand the dedication and time it takes to create just one and here were well over 360 hanging in a splendid venue for us to wander through and gawp. Well, I was the one gawping, okay, but there were plenty of "how did she do that?" whispered and I have to agree.

I was with Pearl in the booth for most of the day Saturday and only took a few shots of the quilts that really went 'pow' to me and then some of our co-workers quilts so here goes a quick review of just a smattering of gorgeousness for your pleasure:


In No Particular Order
 Hawaii Sunset 1845 by Mary Kate Platts


 Eclipse by Dot Collins


Out Of Darkness by Susan Muller


Checkerboard Flow by Dorinda Evans


 Empty Boxes by Janet Bailey

X Marks the Spot by Janet Bailey

(Those two grabbed me immediately because of their scrappy look. I love it that the same quilter made both!)



 Leaves by Kathleen Chauvin
(She writes the leaves are "thread painted' not appliqued but I don't know what this means. 
Either way, stunning visual effect!


 La Rana by Mary Gerardi
(beautiful lizard!)


 Amish Sampler by Mary Gerardi


 Rose of Sharon by Mona Lowe and Georgia Farnet
(THIS is what it looks like to win a Blue Ribbon!) 
Congratulations on a beautiful quilt!


Serenity Walk by Pearl Squires
(Honorable Mention)

There were so many lovely quilts, many which passed through our doors in one form or another, many that were made by ladies who work here at Bright Hopes (but I did not get a shot of them with their quilts.  Boo me!       I regret that I cannot show them all to you. 


I want to close this post with one last quilt for a couple of reasons. The first is we have recently held a class in the radiant star pattern at the shop. Anyone who has made one knows how exacting the diamond points can be. 

Well, these are splendid and to top it off, the applique (my second {new} love) is delightful, the color positively glows and arrests the viewer immediately and lastly, 
as if all this is simply not enough!, it is hand quilted.    

Blue China Star of Bethlehem by Rebecca Creel
BTW: it won Viewer's Choice.

Good Choice!


To all the ladies and gentlemen at Gulf States Quilting Association who worked so hard to bring this "Charmingly Southern" exhibit to life, thank you for such an outstanding job. 




No comments: