Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Visit Your Local Quilt Shop Day!


It's Back! It's Big! It's This Thursday!

I don't know about you but once I have stowed the Christmas decorations and cleared the decks of the holiday cheers, I am rarin' to go on something new, something forward-looking. Something, dare I say, challenging?

Something like the Hoffman Challenge.  Have you seen the fabric they chose for the focus? It is spectacular! Here, have an eyeful!

Right? Spectacular! Very inspired choice! 

If you have never ventured down this path before, let me tell you briefly what's what. You make a quilt, a piece of clothing, an accessory or a doll using an obvious piece of the challenge fabric itself and any other fabric (there's a nice selection of 'friends' that came with the "challenge" fabric)  and submit it to the jury. There are several additional categories like 'best use of Sulky Thread, first submission, best workmanship, etc as well as the usual 1st, 2nd, 3rd and Honorable Mentions.

So, some of us at Bright Hopes Quilting are going to challenge ourselves and make a project using this fabric. I have already seen something of Georgia's work and I can tell you this much: It's gorgeous!

I know what I am going to make but this has taken me 3 weeks since I purchased the fabric, hanging around on the design board and no, I have not even started. We have until mid- July to enter the contest but Pearl is going to hang our finished creations around the shop and she welcomes everyone to join, even those who do not intend to enter the contest. All the rules are at that Hoffman link above.

We have some of the Challenge Fabric left on the shelf so if this is something you'd like to do, Thursday would be a great day to drop in and grab a piece. 

Why Thursday?

It's Visit Your Local Quilt Shop Day! Stop by for refreshments, demonstrations, door prizes and while you are at it, we encourage you bring along a quilt of yours that has a special place in your heart. This can be something you have made or one that has been handed down through generations. It does not have to be in mint condition, either! Like the velveteen rabbit, a worn quilt is a much-loved quilt. Bring it in and tell us about your quilt and see some of the quilts that have been with us in our homes.

I am the lucky duck who gets to work that day with Georgia, Mary and Celeste so I will be on hand with my camera. If you see me lurking, smile and wave!

 I want to make another fun video.

No comments: